Rink Monitor Position
Purpose: This is a semi-skilled manual labour position within an ice arena environment. The Rink Monitor is responsible for the operation of the outdoor rink within The Meadows Community League (TMCL). This includes maintenance of the rink shack and outdoor ice. The goal is to ensure that clean, safe facilities are available to our community members. The Monitor maintains good relations in a recreational atmosphere and ensures the Rink Manger is aware of any issues.
Scope: This position involves a high degree of community member interaction and the ability to work independently. The Rink Monitor reports to the Rink Manager. The Monitor is responsible for keeping the rink shack facilities clean and safe as well as for general upkeep of the rink area and grounds. The estimated weekly number of hours for the position is between 25-30 hours starting around the month of November, with the rink open Monday to Friday from 6pm-9pm, Saturday from 11am-3pm and 4:30pm-8pm, and Sunday from 1pm-6pm.
- Handle outdoor rink operations (Larkspur rink & adjacent snow bank rink)
- Maintain designated operating hours for rink shack operation
- Monitor the actions of groups and individuals using the TMCL rink facilities in accordance of bylaws and regulations
- Maintain and ensure safe work practices are observed by all
Rink Shack Buildings and Equipment
- Ensure rink building and rink surfaces are kept in good operating condition
- Identify and report any required maintenance problems or emergency repair requirements to the Rink
- Ensure TMCL rink shack sidewalks are free of snow, ice and other
- Report graffiti to the City of Edmonton Graffiti Management Program; remove graffiti
- Perform and document safety and security check of the facility when on duty
- Ensure rink shack facilities are locked and secured when not in use
- After emergency care has been provided, report fire and medical emergencies to the Rink
Ice Surface Activities
- Ensure ice surface accommodates various activities including hockey & public
- Operate and maintain ice resurfacing equipment
TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- Completion of Grade 12
- Preferred one-year experience of arena operation including operating equipment such as ice resurfaces, tractors or other related equipment of similar size and complexity
- Possession of a valid Class 5 Alberta Motor Vehicle Operator’s License
- Knowledge or emergency procedures
- Current First Aid, CPR certification with Any expenses to be reimbursed by TMCL
- Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHIMS) certification. Any expense to be reimbursed by TMCL
- Satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Security Screening. Any expense to be reimbursed by TMCL
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
Rink Monitor must be proficient in/demonstrate the following:
- Working knowledge to maintain ice re-surfacing and building maintenance
- Working knowledge of safety precautions and hazards involved with the work assigned
- Effective interpersonal communication skills
- Time management skills
- Decision making skills
- Passion for the position and the Meadows Community
- A strong work ethic
When working alone, the Rink Monitor/Attendant is required to phone or text the TMCL designate when work is commenced and again when completed to confirm that your shift has been completed safely.
The Rink Monitor is a physically strenuous position. The incumbent is expected to lift, carry and manage equipment and supplies. The incumbent may have to work long hours at a time to properly maintain the facilities. In addition to normal work hours the Rink Monitor will be required to work during special events.
The Rink Monitor may find these environments to be cold, busy and noisy, proper outwear will be required as well as good time management to complete the required duties.
There will be duties which will be noisy which may make it difficult for the attendant to concentrate. The Rink Monitor is required to use motorized rink maintenance equipment and wear appropriate safety equipment.
COMPENSATION & POSITION REVEIW
This position is a monthly salaried position. This compensation package will be reviewed at the end of each season by the TMCL Board in conjunction with an employment position review. The review will consist of an interview and written performance appraisal at which time all aspects of this position will be discussed.
To Apply – Please Contact: Jim Solkowski firstname.lastname@example.org